Postdoctoral Fellowships System
The Postdoctoral Fellowships (PDF) system provides help up to a core of the very promising scientists at a time that is pivotal their professions. The fellowships may also be meant to secure a method of getting highly qualified Canadians with leading-edge scientific and research abilities for Canadian industry, federal federal federal government and organizations.
Will you be entitled to a PDF?
To be looked at qualified to receive support, at the time of the deadline date regarding the 12 months by which you use, you need to:
- be A canadian resident or a permanent resident of Canada;
- hold or expect to put up a doctorate in another of the industries of research that NSERC supports.
- You can easily apply just once to the PDF program.
- You may possibly submit just one application per to one granting agency (NSERC, the Canadian Institutes of Health Research CIHR or the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council SSHRC) year. You must certainly not have previously gotten an award that is postdoctoralincluding a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship) from SSHRC, NSERC or CIHR.
- You really must have finished all demands of one’s degree that is doctoral no than two years ahead of the deadline date of the season where you use.
Note: This just isn’t the conferred or convocation date suggested on your own transcript, but rather the date upon which most of the needs of one’s level were met, like the effective defence and distribution associated with the corrected copy of one’s thesis. For applicants with over one doctoral level, the conclusion date of the latest doctoral degree will undoubtedly be used to ascertain your eligibility.
- When you have obtained at the least 6 months of full-time appropriate work in industry or federal government (experience with an organization or its affiliated hospitals, research organizations as well as other laboratories won’t be considered) when you received your doctorate, NSERC will expand the eligibility duration to 3 years.
- If, within couple of years following a date of conclusion of the PhD, you’d your job dramatically interrupted as a result of infection or family that is health-related, NSERC will expand this eligibility duration to 3 years.
- After you received your doctorate, NSERC will extend the eligibility period to three years if you have completed a non-research based clinical residency program.
- If, within 2 yrs after the date of conclusion of the PhD, you’d your job somewhat interrupted as a result of parental, medical and/or responsibilities that are family-related NSERC will extend the eligibility duration to three years.
- If, within couple of years before or following the date of conclusion of the PhD, you then become the caregiver that is primary the delivery or use of a young child, NSERC will expand the eligibility period to six years.
- If you should be susceptible to a long eligibility duration, you might be expected by NSERC to give extra information and/or supporting documents. Any such distribution to NSERC will simply be utilised by staff to evaluate your eligibility to your system. If you want to notify the review committee of delays and/or circumstances which could have impacted your performance and/or efficiency, you might achieve this within the Special Circumstances element of the applying.
Where could you hold your fellowship?
You are able to hold your PDF at:
- Canadian organizations
- provincial research organizations in Canada
- other appropriate research laboratories in Canada
- organizations and research organizations abroad
You simply cannot hold a PDF in Canadian federal government laboratories or perhaps in commercial laboratories across Canada.
NSERC encourages one to undertake research which involves collaboration along with other Canadian businesses. The type for the collaboration that is proposed be appropriate into the host organization.
- You may possibly hold a PDF abroad as long as you have got gotten your doctorate from a institution that is canadian.
- NSERC encourages PDF award holders to broaden their research experience by gaining contact with research that is different. You’re not allowed to put up your fellowship during the exact same organization (or its affiliated hospitals, research organizations along with other laboratories) where you received your doctorate. Nonetheless, you might request an exclusion that’ll be considered because of the selection committee. The request should be centered on medical reasons (as an example, proximity to needed health care facilities), family members reasons (as an example, a partner’s job) or medical reasons (as an example, option of specific gear), which will make it exceptionally hard for you yourself to leave an institution that is particular. Even when your exclusion is given, you’re not allowed to be monitored by the PhD supervisor. You will be motivated to add a alternative location for your PDF in case your ask for an exclusion just isn’t authorized.
- You may perhaps maybe not support the PDF along with your PhD supervisor, regardless of if your manager modifications research organizations.
- Keeping a PDF abroad may influence your residency status in Canada. You may possibly desire to contact the appropriate Canadian authorities or an expert that is appropriate advice.
How will you apply?
You are able to make an application for a PDF by doing and Form that is submitting 201 connecting supporting documents if required. See the directions on the best way to finish Form 201.
Application due date
NSERC must get the application electronically before 8:00 p.m. (ET) on October 17. Incomplete applications will undoubtedly be refused.
Apart from individual email address, NSERC will likely not accept any noticeable changes or updates to the application after it is often submitted. Personal contact information may be updated by giving a contact to email@example.com.
Review procedures and selection requirements
NSERC scholarships and fellowships selection committees review all PDF applications. The selection committees evaluate each application based on the selection requirements described when you look at the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships tools. Keep in mind that NSERC may increase equity and diversity among qualified candidates by providing priority that is award meritorious applicants whom self-identify as Indigenous and/or as a lady, if adequate funds become available. The choice committees are arranged based on the after discipline that is broad:
- Civil and industrial engineering
- Chemical, biomedical and materials science engineering
- Technical engineering
- Electric engineering
- Computing sciences
- Mathematical sciences
- Physics and astronomy
- Earth sciences
- Evolution and ecology
- Cellular and molecular biology
- Animal and plant biology
The research topic rule (see range of Research topic Codes for Scholarships and Fellowships) joined from the application shall figure out the choice committee when the application is likely to be assessed. NSERC may designate the application form to a committee that is different it determines that the niche matter is much more suitable for another committee.
NSERC expects selection committee users to consistently guard from the chance of unconscious bias affecting the decision-making procedure, whether these biases derive from a way of thinking, fundamental versus used research, specific sub-disciplines, regions of research or approaches (including rising people), size or standing of an organization, age, gender and/or other personal facets of this applicant.
NSERC is performing on evidence that equity, variety and addition bolster the medical and engineering communities therefore the quality, social relevance and effect of research. Candidates should relate to concerns 5 to 7 when you look at the Guide for Applicants: Considering equity, variety and addition in the application to find out more https://brightbrides.net/review/dominicancupid/.
In planning their application, candidates should consult the choice requirements and indicators area and Appendix an associated with the Selection Committee Guide for Postgraduate Scholarships – Doctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships tools which offers helpful info on just what committee people look out for in evaluating applications. Applicants must also read the Instructions for doing an application – Form 201.
Applicants are assessed and chosen in accordance with:
- Analysis capability and potential(70%)
- Correspondence, interpersonal and leadership abilities (30%)
Notification of choice
NSERC will alert all candidates regarding the outcomes by the end of January. NSERC will likely not provide outcomes by telephone.
NSERC will publish the names (along with other fundamental information that is award of fellowship recipients on its internet site. To find out more, start to see the usage of Suggestions Act additionally the Privacy Act.
Conditions of this honor
Relate to the Tri-Agency Research Training Award Holder’s Guide for policies and demands about keeping the honor, such as for instance acceptance, begin date, deferment, paid leave that is parental keeping the prize on a part-time foundation, etc.